Before jumping into a body alternating surgery, particularly elective cosmetic procedures, there are some questions you’ll need to ask yourself. Here are some questions people should ask themselves before going through a procedure of such great magnitude.
- What does the procedure you wish to have entail? You want to know what your body is going to go through. This does not necessarily mean that you need to understand every detail down to the tools that would be used. However, it’s important that you know what your body will look and feel like post-op.
- What are the risks of the procedure? Every surgery comes with associated risks and you should be aware of the ones associated with the procedure you’re considering having done. These complications could include infection or changes in the scar. Another risk to consider is the possibility that the results you receive won’t match your expectations. That has to be a risk you are willing to take if you want to go through with plastic surgery.
- That leads to the next question, what kind of results are you expecting? If your goal is to look “perfect,” then you are setting yourself up for disappointment. A surgeon cannot guarantee perfection. Your goal should be improvement.
- Is there an alternative method other than plastic surgery? Are you having a tummy tuck because you don’t like your stomach? Could you avoid plastic surgery all together by just eating healthier and exercising regularly? This is something you should know before going through drastic procedures.
- What scars will I be left with? Every surgery leaves a scar, but some are worse than others. You should know what to expect so you are not shocked when it is already over and too late to go back. Many surgeons are good at camouflaging scars, making them less noticeable.
- How much will the entire surgery cost? This is not going to be cheap and it will require you to take days off of work losing out on more money. Can you afford to do this right now? This is extremely important to figure out ahead of time not after.
- How long will recovery take? You need to be able to put in for time off. You may even need to have someone else around to help you around the house. How much pain will you be in?
The theme here is know what to expect in every aspect of the surgery. If you’re considering cosmetic procedures in the NYC area, make sure you are knowledgeable about the facts first.